What causes pronounced swelling on the nose externally with redness and tenderness internally?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Woke up 1 week ago with swelling in my upper face/eye/nose --- the nasal swelling is pronounced (obvious bump --the size of small pea) about half way down the nose external sidewall--but ALSO internal --with redness and tenderness and some itching . I also have redness on the same nostril area. No fever but nasal drip, usually associated as side effect of BP meds.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Kindly upload an image for review.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully. It is difficult to establish the exact disease condition without reviewing an image. Without an image, the response might be generic and not specific for you.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.

Waiting...

Dr. Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hopefully my photo downloaded. The intention between my eye and nose crease is from my glasses. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Probably related to an allergy!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the imaged attached. This is not too worrisome.

This might be related to an allergy.

For now, regarding treatment I will be conservative.

1. Continue applying warm compresses.
2. Also, get a low dose topical cortisone cream and apply over the nose for a short duration of 5days; this is available over the counter.

Kindly report your progress to me for evaluation and further guidance.

I wish you well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 hours later
Thank you for your direction. Will apply meds accordingly and let you know my progress. I appreciate your time and expertise.
Brief Answer:

Kindly keep me updated!

Detailed Answer:

I appreciate your kind words. Would be glad if you keep me posted with your progress and response to the above recommended measures.

Until next, I wish you well.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana