What causes problems with articulation of speech in children?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi dr
my kid going to 4 by September 23 2014
now he is 3.10 years
he is normal with good activities
he talks to all responds well
now started his LKG from XXXXXXX ...my problem is his words which has r and k he prounces as al and the
ie car as thal
four as foul
run as lun
he says rhymes..numbers everthing but his with this mistakes
is this normal in dz age.?
even i train to say he is not able to tell ra and ka
his other classmets talks clearly
0 minutes ago     
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Yes, it is common for children at the age of 4 to still have problems with articulation of speech.

2. The exact cause is unknown, however since it has caught your attention, the following can be done:
a. A Speech and Language Pathologist has to evaluate him for therapy.
b. An ENT examination to rule out disorders of the movement of the tongue, mouth, palate, throat and hearing including a tongue tie, submucosal cleft palate, fluid in the ears secondary to adenoid hypertrophy and so on.
c. A child behavioral specialist and a neurologist's opinion to rule out other rare possible reasons.

3. I must emphasize that there ia a reasonable chance that he may learn on his own. If all the above tests and examinations are within normal limits, he will be able to talk clearly, sometimes with speech therapy.

I hope that I have answered your questions and if you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.