• question-icon

What causes pins and needles sensation in the right hand?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi can you help me I have pins and needles mainly in my right hand. I should add that at present I am being treated by a physio for pain and sore in my middle upper back, RHS. Another factor which might be relevant is that in the past I have been treated for tennis elbow, RHS. In fact just yesterday I could feel the pins and needles travel from the middle of my right shoulder blade down my right arm to my right hand. I have already made an appoint to see my GP next week. Thank you, Peter
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and investigated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Pins and needle sensation in one hand can be due to cervical radiculopathy or carpal tunnel syndrome.
You may require imaging of cervical spine.
Visit a neurologist and plan for investigations like xray or mri cervical spine and nerve conduction study.
Pain modulator drugs like pregabalin or amitriptyline or gabapentin can be used.
Physiotherapy should be done and continued.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist