What causes pink and black nose discharge in a patient, recently treated for AFib and pericardial effusion?
I would explain as follows:
I passed carefully through your concern.
I would explain that before concluding on the exact nature of that pink and black nose discharge it is necessary reviewing whether there exists a past history of habitual epistaxis (nose bleeding) and her actual medical afib treatment.
Does she take anticoagulants (like Warfarin or Apixaban, Rivaroxaban, etc.) or antiagregants (like Aspirin, Clopidogrel, etc.) which are well known for increasing bleeding risk in case of overdosing or other special health condition.
Other medications like anti-inflammatory drugs used for treating pericardial effusion (fluid around the heart) may exert certain adverse effects in some individuals like thrombocytopenia and bleeding phenomena.
Uncontrolled hypertension may also predispose to epistaxis, as are several forms of nose and para-nasal sinuses inflammation.
Meanwhile, there are certain individuals with a more sensitive nasal plexus who experience frequent and self-limiting nose bleeding.
After explaining all the possible reasons of nose bleeding in your mother's case, to make it more clear and short for you, I recommend in care of prolonged and repeated similar nose discharges to ask medical assistance to the nearest Er service at your living area.
A local nose cavity inspection by an ENT specialist or emergency doctor as well as a review of her recent blood pressure values and current medications is necessary.
Lab tests to be checked as follows:
- Complete blood count,
- PCR & ESR,
- INR & aPTT,
- liver and renal function tests,
- para-nasal sinuses X ray study,
You should discuss with her attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.
Hope to have been helpful to you!
Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fetal pericardial effusion causes
- Tubercular pericardial effusion causes
- Pericardial effusion and elevated wbc
- What a pericardial effusion means for a fetus
- Viral pericardial effusion causes
- Massive pericardial effusion causes
- Pericardial effusion causes
- Malignant pericardial effusion causes
- Tuberculous pericardial effusion causes
- Mild pericardial effusion causes
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?