What causes painful swelling in the left leg and ankle?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the past 3 days, my left leg and both ankles have become painfully swollen, Because I have severe atopic eczema, my skin on my leg is leaking clear fluid causing my skin to 'stick' to anything that I put around my legs to prevent it going onto my clothing. I am a 58-year-old black female who is a social drinker and have never smoked, Because I've been laid off and it has taken me 2 years to secure a full-time position with medical benefits, I have not been able to maintain the care of skin by going to a dermatologist. Also, I am presently involved (indirectly) with getting interior contracting work done which is causing dust and debris to be around me. In the morning, I have to have my husband to help me get out of bed and my gait is so slow from the pain and swelling in my legs. I am scheduled to go to a dermatologist on 7/7 (for the 1st time) and see if they could help me. This is interfering with me enjoying my new job! Please advise... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be infection- cellulitis.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling and discharge is suggestive of a skin infection that needs proper cleaning debridement dressing and oral antibiotics for treatment. You need to attend an ER for prescription medicines before it gets too worse.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
You were right about me having infection-cellulitis. Because this is Saturday and a holiday weekend, I won't be able to get into a doctor's office until next week. Last night, I was desperate, and took 2 capsules (8 hrs apart) of my husband's medicine (Indomethacin 50 mg) that he takes for arthritis. I must admit, it did work in releasing the pain in my legs and this morning I have much more mobility than I had in the past 3 days. Also I've noticed that my skin is not covered with that wet stickiness. I'm new to my job and my health benefits kick in today, July 1. If I go to an ER they will charge me $300 because I know I won't be hospitalized. I read the the treatment is with antibiotics and it will heal within 3 days. How would I go about getting this antibiotic if I can't get into a physicians office?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply local antiseptic ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
All the antibiotics are available only on a prescription. You can apply Oint. Neosporin H on the area which is a topical antibiotic and is available over the counter.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.