Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

What causes painful intercourse?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I experience great pain while attepting intercourse-penetration is impossible
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

At this age group, sexual intercourse may be painful due to inadequate arousal, caused by low estrogen level or hormonal imbalance.

Vaginal dryness, pelvic infection, blunt trauma also can cause sexual intercourse MORE painful with difficult penetration. One pelvic examination to your OBGYN will be worthwhile in this case.

Some measures are to be taken for easy and smooth sexual intercourse:

1) Your partner must indulge in lots of foreplay to arouse you in top level and it helps to increase vaginal lubrication before penetration. You can use ESTROGEN cream around vaginal region at bed time for proper functioning of bartholin gland and more lubrication.

2) You would be in more relaxed state and both of you will create a romantic environment so that you can focus and enjoy your sex. You must avoid mental stress or emotional upset.

3) You must use water-based lube (like KY gel or VAGISIL etc) inside vagina for easier penetration. Pelvic or vaginal infection should be properly treated.

4) It's important that you must communicate what feels good and what doesn't. You can let him know what you need by saying like a little slower or harder or just like that and so on.

5) Also, you can try a woman-on-top position, which will put you in control of the depth and rhythm. Once you get used to the ins and outs of sex, it should be a lot more comfortable and fun.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

You can revert back to me directly through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor