What causes pain, vomiting and abdominal bloating when diagnosed with ovarian cyst?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have a 2.9 cm ovarian cyst. It is causing me pain. my abdomen is bloated. It hurts down in my pelvis on the right side. I have been vomiting. is this something that I should go to check out?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:

The most common sign of a cyst is when there is an abdominal pain. This can be in the belly or around the pelvis area and usually occurs for a handful of reasons. The most common reason is due to the cyst rupturing but it can also be due to a bleed, some growth or becoming twisted around the blood supply.

If the cysts do increase in size, there are times that it can lead to some pressure being felt in the body. It can also lead to bloating and indigestion. There are times that the cyst will block tubes and cause a problem with the menstrual cycle or make it difficult to have sexual intercourse or moving the bowels.
Diagnosis-
This can be done by ultrasounds, CT or MRI scan to be able to find the cysts, depending on where it may be in the body.This will also help to determine the size and shape of the cyst and whether it is causing any other problems.
Women who are on contraceptives will not have regular ovulation periods, which will mean that it is difficult to monitor this way. They, and older women in menopause, will need further observation. This will help to determine whether the cysts are causing a problem or whether they are disappearing on their own. If they do cause a problem, then the cysts will be removed.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng