What causes pain under the left ribs while breathing?

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My colleague has pain under the left ribs. When he breathes in it is more painful. Please provide any suggestions or what can be done next ?
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query in HealthcareMagic,

Before I could guide you any further, I would like to know few details related:

- any recent history of trauma or fall?
- any history of gastritis, tenderness over the area, swelling over the area, difficulty in breathing?

The most common causes of pain over the left ribs are musculoskeletal, gastritis or pleurisy.

I would suggest you to ask him to take Cap. PAN- DSR once daily for 5 days and also take T. Lyser- D twice daily for 3 days.

If the pain doesn't subside or it worsens, I would suggest you to consult with a doctor for proper examination and further management.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy