What causes pain in upper middle back?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am 44 year old male. Some nights lately I have been waking with a dull pain in the my upper middle back. Today after having cereal with full cream milk I had sudden bad heartburn, diarreah and a pain in the middle of my stomach and in the middle of my back again.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like gastroesophagitis with indigestion.

Detailed Answer:

Symptoms are indicating gastroesophagitis with indigestion.Gastroesophagitis causes such pain in stomach region and in middle of the back.Indigestion is cause of diarrhea.

Try antacids for this.Avoid spicy and junk food,have smaller meals, dont sleep immediately after meals. try balanced non spicy diet, avoid smoking and alcohol.Take a small walk after meals.Avoid tea and coffee. Dont drink too much water with meals.Moderate exercises can help in long term.

Hope this helps.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 2 minutes later
How do I know this isn't gallbladder related ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain in that cases is more towards right side.

Detailed Answer:

Gallbladder inflammation generally causes more of continuous symptoms more on the right side.But if possible ultrasound would be ideal to evaluate your gall bladder.

If symptoms continue even after antacids, you can get a ultrasound done.Regards.