• question-icon

What causes pain in the solar plexus after injury?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I feel like I've been punched in the solar plexus. It has happened 2 times before. It is so bad I thought I would have to go to the hospital. It lasted about 90 minutes each time. I have been stressed out too.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
High doses of corticosteroid which are potent anti inflammatory should be taken.
Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.

As per your query answers are-
Celiac Plexus/Ganglia are a groups of autonomic nerves, part of sympathetic system.The sympathetic system in GI is mostly associated with vessels and is important for regulating the distribution of blood into the GI tract .The damage to the Celiac ganglia will affect this regulatory role hence causing pain.
Initially io would suggest you to go for MRI abdomen with contrast to see if there is some damage to plexus.
Therapy with high dose of Mehylprednisolone(16 mg thrice daily) should be considered for few days to suppress inflammation.They are all potent anti inflammatory and would help in relieving the inflammation of the nerve.As the inflammation would settle down symptoms will be relieved.

Hope i answered your query well.
Please feel free to follow up.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist