What causes pain in the back and arms post spinal tap?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: After my spinal tap my upper back and arms are in a lot of pain. Is this normal
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms like that may occur after spinal tap.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Although, such symptoms may occur for a couple of days after a spinal tap, however, its better to get yourself physically examined by a neurologist to exclude anything ominous.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
It has been 20 hours since the procedure. I will wait until tomorrow to see if some of the symptoms subside and if not I will contact the doctor. Do you think this is a wise course of action?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
That’s ok

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Ask him to drink plenty of fluids and remain lying in bed most of the time.Hopefully, he should improve.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 12 hours later

It has been almost 48 hours since the procedure. The headaches are worst but the spasm in the back getting better.
Should I wait until tomorrow to consult a doctor
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get yourself examined by a Neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Headache may persist upto 2-3 days after spinal tap.Being in supine position most of the time and drinking lot of water helps. However, its better to get examined by a Neurologist.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)