What causes pain in the back and arms post spinal tap?

Neurologist
Question
After my spinal tap my upper back and arms are in a lot of pain. Is this normal
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms like that may occur after spinal tap.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Although, such symptoms may occur for a couple of days after a spinal tap, however, its better to get yourself physically examined by a neurologist to exclude anything ominous.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes pain in the back and arms post spinal tap? 1 hour later
It has been 20 hours since the procedure. I will wait until tomorrow to see if some of the symptoms subside and if not I will contact the doctor. Do you think this is a wise course of action?

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
That’s ok

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Ask him to drink plenty of fluids and remain lying in bed most of the time.Hopefully, he should improve.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes pain in the back and arms post spinal tap? 12 hours later

It has been almost 48 hours since the procedure. The headaches are worst but the spasm in the back getting better.
Should I wait until tomorrow to consult a doctor

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get yourself examined by a Neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Headache may persist upto 2-3 days after spinal tap.Being in supine position most of the time and drinking lot of water helps. However, its better to get examined by a Neurologist.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)