Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

What causes pain in testicles?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Hello Doctor, since last two months i am suffering from some unknowm problems in my testicles. i want to start from the beginning, since last 5-6 months, i observed that if i do not masturbate once in two -three days my testicles start paining. situation became worst as the time passed on. one day while swimimg, i observed because of cold water, my testicles got shrinked and went inside, probably known as lower abdomen. afterwards, one day when i masturbated, i observed my right testicle went inside while my left was at at its place. from there onwards i started feeling some kind of weakness in my right testicle, i also observed there is some kind of stretch which i feel in my right inner thighs, some times i felt pain in my right testicle, since last two days i observed that my left testticle has also started paining, i am feeling severe pain for hours since last two days, pls help me.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It's because of normal cremasteric reflex Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX It's quite common for many of the normal individuals to experience sense of fullness in testis because of stasis and congestion when they don't masturbate. It's perfectly normal. Testis is placed outside the body cavity in a sac known as scrotum to maintain it at lower temperature than the body temperature which helps in spermatogenesis. The scrotum is thrown into folds which increases the surface area to increase the heat dissipation. When the outside temperature is lower as being in water during swimming, the cremasteric muscle of scrotum contracts, it decreases surface area of scrotum decreasing the heat loss and also lifts the testis upwards towards the abdomen.The left and right reflex may not be symmetric so sometimes the right testis may be higher up. This explains your symptoms which are perfectly normal reflexes present. As you are having bilateral pain in testis it's important to rule out anatomical abnormality of the testis, as testis are important organs in males. Would suggest you to see your surgeon, physical examination and ultrasound of scrotum will provide you the much needed reassurance that there is no problem. In the meantime I would suggest you 1. Proper scrotal support - wearing the right size of underwear which is neither too tight nor loose will properly support the testis and help in relieving pain 2. Simple analgesic like Ibuprofen will be beneficial I hope it helped If you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Wishing you happy and healthy life Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pain in testicles? 4 hours later
hello doctor, thanks for your reply, here i would like to mention that i have undergone with ultrasound and nothing serious was found, hence it was assumed that it could be an infection and my surgeon prescribed me doxycyclline 100 mg 2 times a day fir 14 days, which i regularly taken some point i felt some improvement, but after 1 week of this treatment i had sex, and after two days my testis again started paining,earlier it started with right testcle and lower abdomen and the next day the pain has spreaded in my left testicle, please suggest if it is not infection what could be the other possibilities. Or if it is still an infection (epidemic orchitis)?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: possibly due to improper size of inner wear Detailed Answer: Namaste Dear Mr XXXXXXX If you have undergone Ultrasound along with Doppler examination at the time of pain and also Undergone Urine Microscopic examination and they are reported to be normal it's unlikely to be Epididymorchitis. Sometimes the physician do put the patient empirically on Antibiotic on clinical suspicion. It's perfectly alright. If the scan is not done at time of you experiencing symptoms, and presently you are having pain then would suggest you following 1. Ultrasound and Color Doppler examination- to confirm normal lie,location, size and vascularity of testis. Normal scan will almost certainly rule out any significant abnormality 2. Urine microscopic examination If the above report are normal then it's highly unlikely that there is any problem. Your symptoms could be due to Hyper active Cremasteric reflex and wearing inappropriate size of underwear. Would suggest you to relax and lie down for sometime after sexual act. Sudden exertion and immediately getting up may provoke the symptoms. I hope it helped Do get back to me if you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pain in testicles? 31 hours later
hello doctor, as suggested by you and my surgeon, i have undergone through color dropler and semen analysis, reports are attached, request you to hav a kook and suggest appropriate.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hydrocele will resolve Detailed Answer: Namaste Greetings Dear Mr XXXXXXX Ultrasound scrotum shows mild Hydrocele on the right side which could have to previous Epididymorchitis and on clinical examination there is gross obvious swelling then there is no need of any surgical intervention, the fluid will get absorbed over period of time. Your color Doppler reveals mildly prominent pampiniform plexus on both sides, which is not sufficient to label it as Varicocele. There is variation from person to person in size of blood vessel. Also in presence of Normal semen analysis and no discrepancy between size of both testis,it does not have any significance. Rest be assured everything is alright. I would suggest you to wear a proper size cotton underwear, which Will support the scrotum and veins in better way and will help reducing the symptoms. I usually keep my patients on yearly follow-up and just ask them to forget all the reports and lead a normal life. I hope it helped Wishing you a happy and successful life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor