• question-icon

What causes pain during urination and presence of blood in urine?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a painful urnitation with blood. Never happened before
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dysuria information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The most likely cause of your symptoms is a urinary tract infection. Men can get these too, although typically at a lower rate than women. Another possibility is something irritating in the tract, such as stones, but most likely a UTI. It is less likely to be something serious such as a tumor, because of your symptom of dysuria (painful urination). STDs can cause these symptoms too, if you think that is a possibility.

I recommend that you go in to an urgent care clinic. There they will take a history, and get a urine specimen from you. While you wait, they can check the urine with a "dip urinalysis" which uses a dip stick to check for blood, signs of bacteria (leukocyte esterase), sugar, and protein. They will most likely start you on an antibiotic. I recommend, though, that the urine be sent to a lab for full urinalysis, and culture with sensitivity testing. Sensitivity testing is where whatever bacteria that grows on the culture is tested against various common classes of antibiotics to make sure what you received tests as "sensitive" (i.e. kills the bacteria) and not resistant or intermediate.

In addition, drink plenty of water and consider either drinking cranberry juice or taking cranberry powder capsules. The problem with ready made cranberry juice such as Ocean Spray is that it also contains a lot of added sugar, which is not good to have in large quantities. So sometimes I recommend getting a bottle of just straight cranberry (I think Knudsen brand makes one) and reconstituting it with water and a little apple juice (it will be tart!).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh