What causes pain and bruise on left side of the abdomen?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, my husband is having pain on his left side as if he were bruised. He did not hurt himself and there is no bruise and it is spreading. He has no other symptoms, but, it is painful to the touch. He has no fever, he is not overweight, he drinks water. He is a truck driver / dispatcher. He is fairly active. We just want to know if it is COULD be internal bruising and what would cause that if he did not physically hurt himself. He is 54.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/54 - pain on left side - as if bruised - did not hurt himself - no bruise but spreading - tender - no fever - truck driver/ dispatcher - wants to know whether this is internal bruising and cause ...
First of all, please give me more details:
- Where exactly is the pain? You have mentioned only on the left side
- Since when has this started?
- What was the effect of Ice pack, Advil and Thermacare?
- Please give any relevant information that can help me to give the proper diagnosis and management.

Awaiting for your answer and feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 50 minutes later
The pain is between and on his rib cage- because it is a tender, "bruised" feeling, the heat / cool did not really work and the Advil brought SOME relief, but, the "bruised" feeling and tender to the touch did not go away. It started suddenly 2 weeks ago and he waited to see if a bruise would actually appear. I hope this helps. Thank you, XXXXX

dp you have an answer?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably costochondritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.

Do you mean the area to be in the center or away from center ?

If the area is between and on his rib cage, the problem can be inflammation of the xiphoid process.
If at the lower rib border, the probable reason can be costochondritis.

In either case the treatment remains almost the same and is as follows:
- Continue Advil at least three times a day after food for next 3 days.
- Rest to the affected area by avoiding any work or movements that causes strain over it.
- Strapping the area helps in many of the cases by limiting the movement and the strain over it.
- In few cases oral steroid can help by its strong anti-inflammatory action, needs a prescription.
- An X-ray of the area, Ultrasound may help to get the probable diagnosis.
- Clinical evaluation, actual physical examination by an Orthopedician/Doctor helps in a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I hope this answer helps your husband, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
I just want to thank you! We are going to get an appointment for follow up. Frankly, I was worried that it was internal bleeding and he is stubborn sooooo, I thought if your answer was that serious, I could use it to get him to go!!! Instead, you set my mind at ease- SO THANK YOU!!!! Grace Garcia
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Sincere thanks for appreciation.
Please go ahead with clinical evaluation and as suggested above.

Have a great day.
...........
You may please rate this answer before closure of the discussion and can certainly contact me on the bellow link in future, whenever you may need me.
http://bit.ly/askdrtchandrakant
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D