question-icon

What causes orange red urine?

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: I had an open gastric sleeve on mar 31. Complications came up. At first the doctors thought it was a uti but since am being treated for a leak. My question is that my urine is being monitored for the amount but the color is very orange red. Any ideas why?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
probably uroinfection

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
I dont think that this urine colour is related to your previous surgery so this is probably another issue. It can be caused by uronfection or kidney stones in most cases and these 2 may develop after longer laying or stress due to this complication of bariatric surgery. Some medicaions and food may lead to urine colour change too. If there is no hemoglobin in urine seen on analysis, you dont need to be worried,it will clear soon if there is burning pain or hemoglobin in urine then you should do more detailed tests.
Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon