What causes numbness in foot and pain in leg?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: When I walk our dog slowly for about 40 minutes, part of my right foot goes numb and my right leg hurts. Not too uncomfortable but am glad to get home and out of my walking sneakers. All discomfort goes away and only returns when walking Mr. Slowpoke again. To make it back home sometimes, I purposely hyperventilate. Do have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis for which I very occasionally take Advil but nothing routinely. Am I correct in saying this is a back issue?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible spinal stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you are having pain with walking your dog. The pain you are describing could be related to a pinched nerve in your back. It could be from various causes of which spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease can cause. To diagnose a pinched nerve you will need a CT scan or an MRI. After that depending on the findings you may need injections or surgery. I would recommend taking shorter walks with your dog until you determine the cause of your pain.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions