What causes nerve pain with numbness and sweating while on Klonopin and Weed?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son has been having nerve pains in conjunction with numbness and sweating. Sometimes during the day and sometimes during the night. about 7 years ago he was diagnosed with general anxiety and was prescribed Clonopin and has been smoking marijuana to lessen the effects. He has since started going to church and is trying to stop clonopin and weed at the same time. He woke up this morning after having a good day of eating well and being with friends and woke up with severe symptoms of arm and leg numbness, feet numbness,sweating,pain in his side and shortness of breath. Not all the symptoms occur at the same time. I took his BP 123/74 and heart rate was 72. Oxygen level 99. His symptoms recently are more frequent and intense
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms probably due to withdrawal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

As you may understand yourself, most likely, the symptoms you describe, are caused by stopping the medication about the anxiety disorder.

It is not advisable to stop these medications simultaneously, furthermore, Klonopin and marijuana should be tapered and stopped gradually.

I think your son should continue marijuana and taper the Klonopin half dose every two weeks for example.

However, it is necessary to discuss with your son's Doctor before changing or stopping medications.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T