• question-icon

What causes nausea, dizziness and vomiting along with headache?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I've been very nauseous, dizzy, and saw stars when I vomited. Last night had the feeling of intense pressure in my head accompanied by the worst pain I've ever felt in my head and neck. Today still neck and moderate head pain and now everything sounds like it is coming through a fan or underwater and they crackle when I yawn or swallow.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please tell me a few details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I understand your concern and I would like to help you at my best in this regard,however,I need to know a few more details-
1)Was this headache unilateral(on one side of the head-left or right) or bilateral?Did the headache built up to its peak gradually or in a moment?
2)Was it throbbing(pulse like)?
3)Did it worsen with talking or sounds?
4)Did it improve with darkness or worsen with light?
5)How did it improve-spontaneously or with medicines?In how much time?
6)Do you have neck stiffness?Any other past medical or disease history?

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with details so that I can answer this well.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 4 minutes later
My neck was a little stiff and still is. The headache came on very suddenly and was a constant pain. No throbbing just intense pressure. It affected my entire head. I tried a cold towel and it didn't help. Sound and light didn't affect it. I used a heating pad and it also did not help. I took diphenhydramine and ibuprofen to sleep but my head still has pain today and ibuprofen has not helped. I am vegan but I take a multivitamin every day.
I also have alopecia but I feel it's unrelated
I also have gallbladder disease and IBS I'm nauseous most days
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs a physical examination/CT scan of head.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up and providing further details.

Considering the clinical details,I suggest that you should visit to an emergency room,for a physical examination and a possible CT scan of head.I am just concerned that we should not miss out any structural brain pathology.

With your earlier description,it appeared that it could have been an episode of migraine but the leading details you have provided are not supportive of migraine.Though,it still can't be entirely negated but its better to be cautious and that's why I am suggesting for a physical examination and a CT head.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist