What causes mild yellowish eyes and frequent sneezing in a new born?

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: Our 5 day baby has mildy yellowish / off whitish eyes but has no signs if yellowing on skin (newborn jaundice) even when we oress the skin its normal.

She is otherwise active, feeds on the breast more than 8 - 10 times a day with a few top feeds.

In addition to the above she sneazes every now and then (when we change her).

Were also a bit worried today as bith my wife and I seem to be develiping a mild cold and we dont want to pass our baby any infection.

I woukd like your advise on:

1. The eye colour.

2. How to prevent from goving the baby a cold.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exclusive breast feeding is suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The hemoglobin level of a fetus before birth is more than that of the mother since she has to extract oxygen from the mother. However this extra hemoglobin is no longer required after birth and breaks down to form bilirubin which is responsible for the yellowish discoloration that you describe. Typically such a thing occurs around day 5 of life. You need not worry. Exposing to sunlight helps in reducing the bilirubin levels and the eye color will gradually be back to normal.

I would insist you to exclusively breast feed the baby. The production of breast milk depends upon the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more she sucks and more the baby sucks, more is the amount of breast milk produced. If you give top feeds, the hunger will reduce and so will the breast milk production. Switching back to breast milk exclusively will automatically enhance the breast milk to sufficient levels. All you have to do is to monitor the urinary frequency. If it is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you need not worry.

Breast milk will help in growing immunity to counter colds. Nothing more needs to be done to prevent the child from developing colds, except for keeping the child warm and clean. As of now give the child steam inhalation. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. It will help in diluting the cough and would thus provide relief.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
I have one question. If the breast milk production is not enough for the baby, and the baby is still hungry what do we do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to monitor the urinary output.

Detailed Answer:
The first question is how do you judge if the breast milk production is inadequate? The adequacy of breast milk is to be judged by the number of times urine is passed. If it is more than 6 times in 24 hours, consider breast milk production to be adequate. If the child is crying even after 20 mins of feeding at 2 hourly intervals, feeding external milk is not the solution you are looking for. Proper burping has to be done and you need to play and coax the baby thereafter.

I hope I could explain.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician