What causes mild COPD with normal chest X-ray?

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My doctor told me I have mild copd and asthma but my chest xray was normal so do I have Copd & asthma thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More information needed!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these diagnosis and all the inconveniences this has had on you.

Asthma would present with normal findings on an x-ray except when you have symptoms or you are having an asthmatic crisis. This means that a normal chest x-ray cannot exclude the diagnosis of asthma.

COPD may have symptoms on x-ray especially in the late stages. Early stages may be more of clinical diagnosis than radiographic evidence.

This means that a normal x-ray, would not confirm exclude COPD in the early stages and would not exclude the diagnosis of asthma. Ask your doctor what his thoughts are after this normal x-ray findings. He may update the diagnosis and make changes depending on information gathered during interrogation and examination.

In all, a normal x-ray alone is not enough to say you don't have COPD or asthma. More information is needed. Ask your doctor what his final thoughts are given these results of normal x-ray.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and d feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah