What causes macular rashes on the shins and forearms?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: whar r chances of glucosamine with msm causing macular rash to shins and forearms? i have been on it for approx 20 plus yrs. Dermatologist was certain this is the cause. i was given prednisone 20 mg bid x 4 days and rash is almost gone now. When i looked it up the rash incidence is only 6%
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
Your dermatologist was right don't go by the percentages on the Internet .
Any drug can give any amount of allergic reaction it depends on how your body reacts.
Since Glucosamine can be made from shell of
shrimps and shell fish the rate of allergic reaction is much more compared to other drugs .
The fact that steroid has helped you only re asses the diagnosis of allergic reaction.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana