What causes lower back pain and bloating while having prostate cancer?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 in Cancer
Question: Hi, my stepfather is 84 and has prostate cancer, he's being treated. But just in the past couple of days he has very bad lower back pain and bloating/ extended stomach. Is there a chance that could be a kidney problem?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Monish De 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI of LS spine and USG of the whole abdomen.

Detailed Answer:

Since your stepfather has prostate cancer and is having bad lower back pain and bloating stomach I would advise him to do a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of lumbosacral spine (LS) and ultrasonography of the whole abdomen. ( USG of the whole abdomen).

For lower back pain he can take paracetamol tablets with your doctors advise.

The cause of bloating of the stomach can only be found out by USG of the abdomen to see whether there is fluid accumulated in his abdomen called ascites.

I do not think he has any kidney problem.

Dr. Monish De, Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana