• question-icon

What causes loose stools after having Lasix?

Posted on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I took a Lasix today after I took a dose of maxipime by iv. The doctor ordered 5 straight days. A huge snow caused me miss to miss 2 doses until today. I took the Lasix today when I was able. 4 hours had elapsed. Later, the loose bowels started. Now, I have the stomach ache. Can I take pepto bismo,an over the counter pill now?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can

Detailed Answer:

you can take pepto-bismol, since there is no problem with the treatment you've mentioned. Lasix may cause loose stools although this is a rare side-effect. Maxipime and other antibiotics may cause diarrhea and this is a rather frequent side-effect. I have not understood whether the antibiotic treatment is still going on.

Please check your stool for blood. If there's blood or if you have a high fever then immediate medical attention is needed.

Otherwise taking pepto-bismol and waiting may help. Sometimes the diarrhea goes away by itself. If it doesn't you should talk about it with your doctor.

I hope I've helped!
If you'd like to ask for clarifications, please use your follow-up questions.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis