What causes long vertical pupils?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi. People are freaking out noticing I have long vertical pupils and scaring me even though my seeing is fine. They call me cat or lizard eyes
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abnormal shape of pupil requires evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history and I can understand your concern.
Normally pupil is a round aperture in the iris, the size of this pupil depends on the light and it is normally in the range of 3-6 mm. Abnormal shape of pupils requires evaluation.
Long vertically oval pupil is seen following injury to the iris or following surgeries of the eye or in case of degenerations and other dystrophies which affect the iris muscles which are responsible for maintaining the shape and size of the iris.

Hence I require more details like
Do you had any injury or surgery of the eye in the past?
Do you any other symptom like double vision, diminution of vision, glare....

If possible do send a photo of the eyes so that I can have a look and answer your question more accurately.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards