What causes leg cramps, tremors and dry mouth

Question
I have leg cramps two or three days prior to waking up with a very dry mouth and sometimes confusion. My fiancé tells me that I also shake.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Respiratory alkalosis comes to my mind

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query on HealthcareMagic.

I have read your query. On reading your query the symptoms of muscle cramps/twitching and dry mouth seemed unrelated to each other. There may be many causes for these symptoms (if taken separately).

If taken together, it does fall into the scenario of respiratory alkalosis. Respiratory alkalosis happens when there is hyperventilation of lungs (rapid breathing). The carbon dioxide levels fall in blood. The pH of the blood rises. It leads to symptoms like lightheadedness, dizziness, tingling in extremities, spasm in the larynx of throat, confusion. There may be chest pain, palpitations and other heart symptoms. symptoms of dry mouth, sweating, muscle twitching, cramps, muscle tetanic spasms, or even seizures may be experienced.

Arterial blood gas analysis is the test that can rule out this condition.

There may be many causes for respiratory alkalosis. One of them is anxiety but is usually diagnosed when other causes have been ruled out. Other causes include pain, fever, sepsis, respiratory conditions, some medicines that can increase respiratory rate.

If your blood gas analysis does show this abnormality, then respiratory conditions should be ruled.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee