What causes heaviness throughout the body with tightness in the chest?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Always feel heaviness all over of my body and tightness of my chest. Can't sleep very well. Either always dream or wake up many times. Or can not fall into asleep.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please do let me know a few more details ma'am, thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. If you do not mind, I have a few questions for you before we can move forward, please do take your time and respond to them:

1. How would you rate your level of stress off late, on a scale from 0 to 5, 0 being nil and 5 being way over stressed ?

2. Has any incident or event taken place lately that has caused you to feel emotionally low, physically low, etc. ?

3. Any recent bad news ?

4. Are you worried about something or recall something unpleasant ?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to be able to help you ma'am.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 days later
Sorry for late reply. 1. 4;2. Not recently but a year ago;3. Recently buzy for study;4. Yes. A year ago, I had hyperventilation, which caused respiratory alkalosis. After that, I used to have lots of symptoms and was diagnosed as anxiety. I didn't take any medicine. All the symptoms become better as time goes on. But recently I always feel heaviness all over of my body and I am easy to feel tired. By the way, my stomach does't work very well. Everytime I have the feeling of heaviness, I feel harder to breath and always pay a lot of attention on breath. Usually the feeling of heaviness wou l d be released in the night.ould
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
?? Strongly suspect stress to be the trigger for this, very common in women

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Your symptoms point towards stress, anxiety and even mildly depression. I would strongly recommend a visit to a psychiatrist who would help you with a little counselling and a few exercises to battle stress.

The symptoms you are describing are more common in women, more common in women and more common once they get into bed.

I would also recommend drinking a lot of water, and also taking an antacid like Ranitidine or Omeprazole 15 minutes before each meal for about 3-7 days to aid digestion as well.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.