What causes leakage fro nostril after surgery for broken nose?

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Sat, 25 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a deviated septum several years ago that was corrected by surgery. I also had a brain "Bleed" after surgeon nicked the lining of the brain during surgery to correct broken nose. But now, in the last two years, I cannot bend over without clear liquid coming from right nostril. It leaks when I am eating also. Is this a process found in older people? I am 66.
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CSF Rhinorrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to HCM forum.

This is not a tall normal.
Your history is clearly suggestive of CSF Rhinorrhea-leaking of cerebro spinal fluid through a defect in the base of skull.

Usually such leaks seals off spontaneously.But,as you had this for 2 years,this is unlikely,and we have to repair the dura surgically to stop the leakage.The procedure (endoscopic dural repair) is a minor one,and you can seek the help of a neurosurgeon.
If left uncorrected,this can lead to serious complication like bacterial meningitis,brain abscess etc.

Meanwhile,avoid frequent stooping down,avoid forceful nose blowing/sneezing.Include enough fruits and veges in diet to make your stool soft(straining at stools can increase the leak).

Hope this will answer your query.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D