Suggest treatment for persistent headache while on antibiotics

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: i waa put on antibiotics after a 3 week headache that the dr said is sinus inf.Last night face and neck swelled she said sinus absess but it doesnt hurt?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 14 minutes later
Hello!
I suggest to see for a side effects from antibiotic....I need to know the name of the antibiotic and a picture to be more confident. You should talk again with your doctor related this fact.
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 7 minutes later
bactrim is the antibiotic, sulfameth? only left side is.swollen.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
this could be a sinusitis complication

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sxxxxt! Ι have been through your question and the image.

It is known that Bactrim could cause facial swelling as a rare side effects but normally it's not seen only in one side.

So, related to your recent symptoms, I'd agree with your doctor, this could be a sinusitis complication. You should be aware that the complications of a sinus infection that may develop are meningitis, brain abscess, osteomyelitis, and orbital cellulitis. However, your present symptoms don't suggest for these severe complications, I still think that it is better to do a CT-scan of head to exclude an abscess or osteomyelitis (more possible in your case).

Furthermore I need to know for how many days you are taking Bactrim ?

I hope my answer help you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 14 minutes later
how would these conditions be treated?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First immediate hospitalization needed

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

If at all you have developed these above mentioned symptoms, I'd suggest immediate medical attention and aggressive treatment including hospitalization, intravenous broad spectrum antibiotics, corticosteroids therapy (to decrease inflammation) and/or surgical intervention (abscess drainage).

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.

Kind regards

could this be a dental abcess
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this could be a dental abcsces.

Detailed Answer:
But to be sure to say it, you should have prior history of dental problems.

I hope my answer helps you.
Best regards.