What causes late periods post abortion?

Infertility Specialist
Question
on XXXXXXX 29th I had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy at which I didn't even know I was pregnant because I still had my monthly period on time same length with no difference in flows. I bleed for 3 days after procedure was done then 7 days later had my period on time normal flow, I track my menstrual cycles. Well this month my menstrual was due this Tuesday Aug. 5th and I have yet to have it.The first day of my last period was July 10th. I took a pregnancy test last night and negative. Trying to figure out whats going on.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. After pregnancy whther it's abortion or ectopic pregnancy the body takes some time to get periods normally.

2. This is because there are few hormones in the body which appear during pregnancy but disappear slowly.

3. Therefore since you had ectopic pregnancy only last month it will take another 2 months to get regular periods.

4. So its not a problem and dont worry about it. Wait for 2 months.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: What causes late periods post abortion? 7 minutes later
Thats what I am not understanding, I had regular periods up until the procedure and afterwards. When I asked my doctor why didn't it test positive on at home pregnancy test she said I most likely didn't produce enough of the hormone to receive a positive result. I have been having normal periods up until this point. Even had my period last month. So its confusing and worrying me because we are ttc and I don't want to risk losing the only tube I have left possibly going through what I just went through again.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait

Detailed Answer:

This is unlikely to be pregnancy. This is just due to hormonal changes associated with pregnancy.

Body needs to adjust. So please wait with patience.