What causes intermittent vaginal bleeding post menopause?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I am a 71 year old woman.I had some vaginal bleeding ( just once ) after menopause. I went to a Gyn and ha a uterine biopsy. It was negative. I then had an ultrasound. It showed my uterus wall was thickened. and I has some fluid in my uterus. I then was given a DNC. The results were negative for cancer. Afterwards I bleed for about 4 days which I heard was normal. The problem is about 16 day after the procedure I bleed again ( about 4 times ) which I heard was not normal. Could the bleeding be caused by something else other than my uterus?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

This bleeding is from your uterus!

Detailed Answer:

The greatest fear would have been cancer. After a biopsy and D&C with pathology results showing no worries, there is nothing to bother about.

The bleeding is definitely from the uterus. That will occur about 16days is delayed and in most cases wouldn’t be bright red blood but rather blues/dark in nature.

There is no reason being further alarmed at this time. Be calm and only seek further care if something else like repetitive or recurrent bleeding or a single bleed in huge volumes is observed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you, Is this just your opinion or did you consult other doctors on this?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Not an opinion but from literature!

Detailed Answer:

Medical literature and experience in practice informed my response. I did not consult any doctor on this as it well established that we can have a delayed bleed. What was the nature of the blood?

With a negative biopsy following D&C, there is really nothing to bother about.

Sit, relax and monitor your health. If something else comes up, keep me updated and I will evaluate and guide accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng