• question-icon

What causes inflammation in knee post injection of stem cells into knee?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, My relative had worn out cartilage so he got msc stem cells injected in his knee. after 9 days or so we went down some stairs to the beach and the next day his knee got super inflamated. He went to the er and to another doctor and they took out fluid from his knee 3 separate times. Like half a can of coke of fluid. He is now on crutches and cant walk or move his knee. it has been like 12 days that he cant walk or move the doc said to keep of the knee for 4 weeks, he is not getting better. he did the stem cells in mexico by a sketchy doctor that i dont trust. the doc here did an mri and didnt see anything wrong. I have never seen anything like it. any advice?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This looks like an infection following the procedure!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this problem your relative has with the knees. I have reviewed this information and the attached image fully. This is probably an infection following the surgical intervention as suggestive by the swollen and inflammatory nature. I am curious to know what the fluid analysis gave as there would’ve most likely be close to an infection. Also, was a culture done and is he taking any antibiotics at this time? I will like to know what the current approach is besides the rest and probably pain medications. I cannot comment on the doctor in Mexico but I hope he acted in the best interest of your relative. Though he cannot walk at this time, it is probably related to the pain and the inflammatory reaction. This will for sure get better as treatment is instituted. Keep me posted and especially on the ongoing treatment options.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
they tested for infection and they say that there was no infection in the fluid. the fluid was clear i think, greenish the first time .
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you have the report of these lab findings?

Detailed Answer:

DO you have the results of these lab findings? If you do, please upload them for review If for real there is no infection, then it is probably and exaggerated inflammatory reaction. Let’s monitor and see how he does as this reduces progressively. In this case, I will suggest that he gets power pain and anti-inflammatory medications.

Let me get regular updates from you so as to be able to continually chip in ideas to help resolve this issue.

Dr. Ivo Ditah