Owl Image

What causes hyperpigmentation?

Owl Image
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Question
Can you tell me if this photo is skin cancer on my leg?

Hello doctor, thank you for your reply. I dont remember if it has changed much in last year or two. There is no change in size and no itching burning or pain. Thanks again
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a skin cancer picture

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail and seen accompanying picture.
Hyperpigmentation occurs as brown macules or patches, often with a poorly defined border, irregular in outline and usually with little surface change. This is what seems to have happened in your case. This is usually related to an inflammatory condition including simple injury to the area which might have occurred about two years back.

This does not look like a skin cancer. However you may consult a dermatologist to confirm diagnosis and get any necessary clinical tests after clinical examination. Resolution of such problems may take a long time even with treatment.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek