What causes hyper pigmentation of skin on dorsum of hand?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
Today in the morning when I came to office and opened up my laptop, after sometime when I went outside I noticed that the back side of my palm got black (basically when there is a skin burn). I am not sure of the reasons, but there are black patches over my hand.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tanning; Sun protection along with pigment reducing cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

You seem to have hyperpigmentation of skin on dorsum of hand.
It is a diffuse brownish pigmentation, secondary to sun induced tanning, as this part is uncovered and exposed to sun.
If I was the treating doctor I would suggest that you use a broad spectrum sunscreen throughout the day. A sunscreen with Spf 50 or more would be ideal. You may apply sunscreen throughout the day i.e every 2-3 hours to protect all skin surfaces that are normally uncovered such as face, hands and arms from harmful effects of sun rays.
At night you may use a cream containing skin lightening agents/ depigmenting agents like kojic acid Or glycolic acid to help fade away the XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Thanks doctor.. but i am confused, if this is due to sun rays, then why not my face got affected..also do you think that it has anything to do with the infrared rays of the laptop?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tanning; Sunscreen during day and Pigment reducing cream at night

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

This is tanning reaction to sun exposure. Hands and arms are usually the most affected by tanning.
This is not related to laptop use.
I suggest you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen e.g Neutrogena sunscreen, Spf 50. You may reapply sunscreen every 2-3 hours, throughout the day.
At night I suggest you to use a pigment reducing cream e.g Demelan cream (contains glycolic acid, arbutin) Or Kojic cream contains kojic acid)
You may also take a tablet of Vitamin C (Celin tablet) once daily for a few days.
Together these should show desired effect in about 3-4 weeks.