What causes high RBC count along with low MCV and MCH?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi, I got high RBC 5.85, low MCV 72.8, low MCH 24.8. Also my Bilirubin is high: 31.4.

Is it hemolytic Anemia? Could it be something else. I feel totaly fine and healthy. In the past I got high Bilirubin results then normal, but always normal RBC, MCV, and MCH. Today I got tested and got the above results. Could you tell me what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Anil Parth Desai 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi can you send me complete details of your blood report and bilirubin

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I did review your concern.
From your initial reports it seems to be like hemolytic anemia, however your RBC count seems to be pretty much in normal range. I need to know more about your blood report and health history.
Have you noticed any blood in urine or bleeding from anywhere else?
Have you noticed any changes in color of your stool?-paler or darker?
Have you been transfused with blood recently?
I know you feel fine and healthy but have you had any other minor complaints like abdominal pain?
Also has anyone else in your family had similar complaint?
also send me bilirubin report. It shows 31.4 but i think its a typing error and may be 3.14. anyways do you have a divided report as in what is the direct and indirect bilirubin levels. Also send report of liver function test in case you have.

I am thinking in terms of mild hemolytic anemia-something like thalassemia trait where MCV is also low. Also sometimes mild blood infection like malaria may cause this or a genetic condition of isolated hyperbilirubinemia may cause this. other cause could be liver or post liver obstruction.

So all in all can you send me your complete blood report, bilirubin report, liver function test, stool report and urine report, whatever you have amongst this and i will be more than happy to help you.
waiting for your reply.
Wish you a very healthy and happy life always my friend.
Sincerely,
Dr Parth A Desai
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Anil Parth Desai

Pathologist and Microbiologist