What causes high ALT, high WBC and chronic fatigue?

Question
What are possible diagnosis for high ALT, high WBC, chronic fatigue, joint pain, bloated abdomen?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Liver disease

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. My first thought with an elevated ALT is some kind of chronic liver disease. Hepatitis B and C both cause chronic liver disease, which over years or even decades may progress to cirrhosis and liver failure. During much of that time, you may experience few or no symptoms. When the liver disease is advanced, you can have swelling of the abdomen, fatigue, and sometimes joint pain. Infections in general can cause an elevated WBC count and fatigue. There is another condition called autoimmune hepatitis which can cause similar symptoms, especially joint pain. Autoimmune diseases may be associated with an elevated WBC.

If you were my patient, I would start with a careful physical exam, especially of your abdomen and liver. If there is evidence of fluid in your abdomen, that requires further evaluation to diagnose the cause. This may consist of an ultrasound and even removal of some of the fluid with a needle. Fluid would indicate advanced liver disease requiring prompt treatment. Assuming the bloodwork you've already had was part of a routine checkup, I would also add specific blood tests for hepatitis A, B, and C, and tests looking for autoimmune conditions that could be causing joint pain and injuring your liver. Chronic hepatitis B and C are both treatable. Hepatitis A can occur acutely with such symptoms, but generally resolves on its own and does not become chronic.

Check back with your doctor and see about getting the tests mentioned above. I am especially concerned about the bloated abdomen and would want to be sure it's not due to fluid.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.