What causes frequent urination with nighttime incontinence?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Constant feeling that I need to empty my bladder. Very little output. Except when I'm sleeping, then I soak myself. No pain, just pressure on the urethra. Urine is clear, no blood, no odor. Post ESWL procedure for kidney stones 4 months ago.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Over Active Bladder Syndrome (OAB) or Urethral stenosis

Detailed Answer:

Hello
Thanks for query
Constant urge to pass urine and feeling of incomplete emptying of bladder without positive evidence of infection is mostly due to what is called as Over Active Bladder Syndrome (OAB) or due to senile Urethral Stenosis ,

In females as the age advances there is a generalised atrophy of Geniti Urinary organs that also involves Urethra causing narrowing of urethra what is called as Urethral stenosis .This leads to incomplete emptying of bladder duering every micturition resulting into some amount of urine to remain in bladder what s called as Post Void Residual Urine (PVR).

Urine formation and feeling of bladder is a continuous process hence bladder gets filed up earlier than what it should be normally making bladder to contract and that gives rise to sensation of passing urine frequently .

Consult qualified Urologist for evaluation and get endoscopic examination and Calibration of urethra (Dilatation ) done ,You will need to keep urethra dilated and wide open by doing self catheterization at home every day

In the mean time start taking anti muscuranic drugs like Darifenocin once daily.

Thanks and Regards.Please Do write if you need any further clarification
Dr.Patil