What causes frequent light menstrual blood flow in a 47 year old?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2018
Jan 2018
Question
I am 47 years old. My period was just spot bleeding the last 2 months this I have been bleeding for about 2 weeks. It started heavy bleeding this morning. Is this normal for the change
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some more information. Medicines to stop bleeding. USG.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, I welcome you to HCM virtual clinic.
I have understood your concern and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

First of all do not panic.
Please let me know about few things in detail.
I would like to know,if your periods were normal before 2 months and spotting that you have mentioned is since last 2 months only?
Secondly, are you still having continuous bleeding as on now?

I would like to let you know that, around the onset of menopause, you should start getting scanty menses and the interval between the two periods should keep on increasing.
Anything else, other than this should be investigated properly.

I will suggest you to get USG done with respect to Uterine size, ovarian volume and endometrial thickness.
This will give us some idea , if there is any structural cause like fibroids or polyp as a cause of this bleeding.

Secondly, to get control of your current bleeding, please seek prescription support from your treating doctor for tablets containing Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid combination. This will help to reduce or stop your bleeding.

Also, I will suggest you to opt for a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen. Drink plenty of water. Avoid refined sugars and deep fried foods and bakery products in the diet.

Please update me with some more information to help you out in a better way.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar