What causes frequent and spontaneous bowel movements post withdrawal from alcohol?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an issue with my bowels spontaneously contracting and causing me to have bowel movements that either come flying out before I can make the bathroom, or it feels like I need to go, and it slowly comes out. Can take up to an hour of frequent trips to the bathroom. Stool is mostly soft, but not diarahea. This is very unmanageable because I never know when the feeling of these "contractions" come out of nowhere. I recently quit drinking and am trying to gain weight from depriving my body of nutrition for so long. Could it be, my body is readjusting to the caloric intake?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With recent drinking cessation, i would consider these as withdrawal symptoms of bowel and nothing to worry about and will focus on hydration and supportive care with diet and lifestyle modifications. Use yogurt, peppermint, probiotics, fibrous diet, plenty of fluids and rest. BRAT diet ( banana, rice, applesauce, toast, ) guava, green tea, pomegranate juices etc all can help.

I would suggest wait and see and maintain good diet and lifestyle and treat the symptoms supportively. You may use imodium if the bowel movements get too frequent and watery.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan