What causes fever, severe abdominal cramps and diarrhoea?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Cancer
Question: About 6 weeks ago I went to the emergency room with fever, severe abdominal cramps, and bloody diarrhea. they gave me antibiotics and fluids and kept me overnight. Since then, I have had diarrhea at least once a week. No blood or fever, but I am not feeling the same. Neither the doctors or I had any idea what brought the original incident on. Maybe food poisoning. I am going to have a colonoscopy this week, but don't know what the next step is if they don't find anything. I was healthy up to this point. What could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
unlikely for food poisoning to last that long

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The initial presentation fits very well with food poisoning. But that should subside in few days and not recur. Have we tested your stools comprehensively for any pathogens or occult blood.

Sometimes acute infection may cause secondary lactose intolerance. That also has to be ruled out. Is milk an offending agent in your case ?

Otherwise colonoscopy is definitely required to rule out any polyps or other lesions, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 25 minutes later
I have been eating a lot of yogurt for the acidophilus. I have been eating yogurt every day and the diarrhea comes on only 1 to 2 times per week. Could it still be the culprit? I am not eating many other milk products.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yogurt should not cause this

Detailed Answer:
Milk can be the culprit, not yogurt. As you are not taking milk much, it is probably not the problem here.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
good information on what to rule out, but I still don't know what to do to get a diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer below

Detailed Answer:
As already planned, colonoscopy and biopsy of any suspicious areas (or random biopsies if no suspicious areas), comprehensive stool examination including bacteria, ova, cysts, parasites, occult blood, clostridium difficile, stool pH and reducing substances should be enough to pinpoint a particular diagnosis.

It is very unlikely that all of these would be normal in a case of continuing diarrhea.