• question-icon

What causes fever and chills while on Clindamycin?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: I am female, Caucasian and almost 85 years old. For the past month or so, I have been alternately hot and cold. Before that, I was cold most of the time. The only change in meds is I am currently on a 3 month regimen of Clindamycin 3 times a day for 3 months for a bone infection in my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These could be side effects of Clindamycin.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

Related your concern and based on your history (taking clindamycin) I think that these symptoms could be as a result of Clindamycin' s side effects.
It is known that Clindamycin could cause fever with chills as side effects.

I suggest to talk with your doctor about this situation and please don't stop clindamycin without consultation with him.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 10 hours later
I will not stop taking the Clindamycin. I am going to have an implant to keep my dentures in and have had surgery to get the deteriorated bone out. I will continue the Clindamycin for 3 months and, if the small bacteria is gone, I can have the implants. I am not having fever or chills, but just alternately hot and cold. Is there anything else that could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Usually it is known that hot and cold symptoms are very often caused by anxiety,and other causes may include starting a new medication, or infections or hormonal imbalance as well.
So, based on this I suggest to do some lab test ,( full blood count, thyroid hormones, azotemia, creatinine, urine test, Protein C reactive) and meet a psychiatrist to exclude anxiety as well.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Regards.
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist