What causes feeling of fluid in right ear?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi!!! my right ear feels like it is full of water. I clean my ears daily after I get out of the shower but it does not seem to help. I can get temporary relief by using an over the counter ear wax liquid. I feel my ear full, wait 20 minutes or so, and then use a q tip to clean it out. A few days later it feels and sounds like it is full of water.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear wax build-up. Rule out ear drum and middle ear problems.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be a build-up of ear wax (cerumen) as it is an intermittent blockage.

2. It is not possible to clean out all the ear wax with a q-tip by yourself.

3. Get the ear examined by an ENT Specialist. It will immediately settle the diagnosis.

4. Get the ear cleaned if required by a Specialist. The ear canal is very delicate and other problems can be ruled out.

5. Using a q-tip will push the ear wax deeper towards the ear drum. The ear canal is self cleansing and does not require cleaning in most people. Ear wax is hygroscopic (absorbs water/ moisture) and swells, hence the feeling to clean after a shower.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.