What causes facial pain and leg numbness in a patient with diabetes?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My mother has a history of diabeties for nearly 20 yrs. present sugar level are under control however she has the following symptoms:
1. numbness in left leg
2, burning sensation in upper jaw and on tongue ocassionally
3. slight numbness on her face and head- she eels it only on touching it
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Your mother's problem seems to be related to her diabetes as she is suffering from diabetic neuropathy. Diabetic neuropathy can be symmetrical, mononeuritis multiplex, plexopathy or mononeuropathy. Her presentation is of mononeuritis multiplex. Facial pain and numbness may also be due to trigeminal neuralgia or neuropathy if episodic. But diabetes related neuropathy is the most possible diagnosis of your mother.
She need a consultation with a neurologist and nerve conduction study and some blood investigation.
For treatment she require proper blood sugar control, pain modulator like gabapentin, amitryptiline and pregabalin.
Hope my answer is helpful to you.
Wishing good health to you and your mother.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Please close the question and rate me as it will be helpful if your queries have been properly addressed.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist