What causes extreme left-sided pain under shoulder blade?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having extreme left side pain under my shoulder blade. Naproxin sodium is not helping. It began a week ago. I cannot sleep due to the pain. I am diabetic, taking insulin & pills. What is causing this pain? I am 77 yr. old. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your pain.

Whenever such pain occurs it is very important to rule out heart related causes.

So when I see someone like you in my practice who presents with such pain, I immediately refer them to the ER.

Once heart related causes are ruled out then I examine them thoroughly and order the following tests:

CBC
CMP
HbA1c
Lipids
Urine albumin to creatinine ratio
TSH
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
Vitamin B12
X ray left shoulder
DXA Bone density

There can be multiple reasons for this pain and appropriate testing and physical examination in-person are necessary to determine the cause of this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad