• question-icon

What causes episodes of diarrhea and fecal incontinence while having CREST syndrome?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I had a colonoscopy and EGD in april because of constipation. I have a history of CREST syndrome. Since these procedures, my bowel movements have completely changed. I go 2-3 times per day and have become incontinent of stool. The stool is thick and sticky and sometimes does not look like a regular BM. No pain. Should I go back to the GI specialist?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly bacterial overgrowth in small bowel

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Episodes of diarrhea and fecal incontinence is due to scleroderma. The changes in indestinal motility seen in scleroderma patients can lead to back-growth of bacteria from large intestine to small intestine thereby disrupting normal intestinal flora.
Eating a diet rich in probiotics can re-establish the normal flora. Yogurt, kimchi etc are rich in probiotics.While buying you hurt make sure that label indicates that the product contains live active cultures.If needed you can also take over the counter probiotic supplements.

Since you have fecal incontinence, it is also recommended to rule out the possibility of anorectal sphincter dysfunction.Rectal examination and manometric studies can confirm the diagnosis.Stool analysis and culture is also recommended to rule out infection and need for antibiotics.

Please be advised to follow up with your gastroenterologist for further investigation and management.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal