What causes elevated liver enzymes?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had gone for routine blood work and the results came back with elevated liver enzymes I had a ultrasound done of my liver. The test says: slightly heterogeneous echotexture to the hepatic parenchyma inconsistent with simple fatty infiltration. I went for additional blood test this morning. What does this mean and should I really be nervous because I am feeling upset. I have attached initial blood work and ultrasound report
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Metabolic syndrome Detailed Answer: Dear Mr XXXX, Thanks for your query. The results are indicative of what we call metabolic syndrome, which consists usually of impaired fasting glucose, abnormal lipid levels and many times elevated blood pressure. The main cause of it is overweight or obesity, and the mainstay of treatment is regular, aerobic physical activity and gradual loss of 10% of the weight that you are currently carrying. It is about living a healthier lifestyle in terms of eating and exercise. The importance of taking it seriously is that 30% of patients with metabolic syndrome progress to true diabetes, which, as you know, is bad Now, in terms of the mildly elevated liver enzymes and the fatty liver infiltration, that combination is diagnostic of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), or inflammation of the liver due to fat deposition. The mainstay of treatment is again, weight loss of about 10% over several months with diet and regular exercise. You can also take Vitamin E 400 Units twice a day. The fatty liver can regress to normal if you achieve those goals. Your bad cholesterol is quite elevated, and most likely you will benefit from a statin, or cholesterol lowering drug prescribed by your physician. Hope this helps wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN Cardiology
Follow up: Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I wonder what the ultrasound results mean with regard to slightly heterogeneous echotexture ..inconsistent with fatty infiltration. Would you please tell me what that means. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Description of fatty liver Detailed Answer: Dear Mr XXXX Thanks for the follow up. I believe that the report has a typo. It probably meant "slightly heterogeneous echotexture CONSISTENT with fatty liver", because that is the usual description of fatty liver. Otherwise no masses, obstruction or fluid was noted. If in doubt I would talk to the Radiologist review it and correct it in the record if indeed it is a typo. Yours truly