question-icon

What causes elevated calcium level in blood?

Posted on Wed, 18 Dec 2013
Question: My last blood test reflected elevated calcium level. What causes this?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: Hyperparathyroidism is the commonest cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Elevated calcium level is called as hypercalcemia.The normal level of calcium is 9-10.5 mg/dl. The commonest cause for hypercalcemia is hyperparathyroidism. Hyperparathyroidism is because of enlargement of the parathyroid glands which surround the thyroid glands and are present in the neck. About 80% to 90% of cases of hypercalcemia are because of hyperparathyroidism. The other less common causes for hypercalcemia are use of drugs like thiazide diuretics, renal failure... Once you are diagnosed with hypercalcemia you need further investigations like estimation of parathyroid hormone level for diagnosis of underlying cause for elevated calcium level. Hence I advice you to consult Physician or Endocrinologist for further evaluation and treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist