What causes dry mouth while on Metformin for diabetes treatment?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have sugar problem. I am 66 years old. I am taking Metformin 500mg 2x daily. With exercise and pills my sugar is well control.
My sugar is 6.2 average. But only at night while I am sleeping getting dry mouth. I consulted my home physician. He told me that it is not curable. Please tell me what should I do.
Thank you.
XXXX
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that this can be a complication of diabetes , people can have dry mouth and parotid enlargement in diabetes . But you should also get yourself evaluated for a disease name as Sjogrens syndrome as it can present with these symptoms . If you have accompanying dryness of eyes also then its evaluation is must .

You can use artificial saliva to solve this problem . Rest nothing much to be done.

DR. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes dry mouth while on Metformin for diabetes treatment? 35 hours later
I have no dry eyes

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for reverting back.

Then there is less probability of Sjogrens syndrome . Your problem is because of diabetes only what we could see by clinical presentation.

Dr. Shruti