What causes dizziness while on Atorvastatin and Hydrochlorothiazide?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: My Doctor has me on losartan, clopidogrel, atorvastatin, , amlodipine, atenolol, meclizine, hydrochlorothiazide and metformin. I am an 82 year old woman, who basically has been fairly healthy. I have had a small stroke. Lately I have been so dizzy that I do not keep my balance. Is it necessary to take this much prescription meds? I am led to believe that I have more than two that are for high blood pressure. I stick my finger and test my blood everyday for diabetes. I am a diabetic. I am also on montelukast.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May need medication adjustment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
The medications that you are on to lower blood pressure are hydrochlorothiazide, amlodipine, atenolol and losartan.
It sounds like you may be having periods of low blood pressure causing your symptoms. You need to discuss this carefully with your doctor.
It is important to control your blood pressure since high blood pressure contributes to strokes. However, you do not want to be on so much medication that you are getting blood pressures that are too low because that can be dangerous as well. I suggest that you get a home blood pressure monitor and when you are feel dizzy check your blood pressure. Write it down and take this in to your doctor.
They can make adjustments as needed.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson