Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What causes dizziness and vertigo at night?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 96 Questions
I am 62 and have been getting up in the middle of the night and becoming so dizzy that I grab anything to keep from passing out. Often curling into a ball until the room stops spinning. In addition I am dropping plates and bowls because I can't hold them any longer. This has been going on(dizzy) for several months and just recently the dropping of plates with shakiness.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Suleman Muhammad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: BPPV or Inner-ear Problem or Old age diseases Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX! Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic! YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Dizziness and vertigo are among the most common symptoms causing patients to visit a physician. 40% people greater than 40 years presents with these symptoms and 25% in subjects older than 65 years give complain of falling. so you are among those 25% patients. The most common caused of your symptoms is Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and Im saying this because changing the position of you head (getting up) causes your head spinning and dizziness. You need to visit an Ear Nose Throat Specialist to exclude this disease. and he should carefully examine you by triggering same vertigo (spinning and dizziness) by : 1) Tilting the head 2) Rolling over in bed 3) Looking up or under 4) Sudden head motion Treatment is pretty simple and does not require any invasions. he/she will perform you one of the two maneuvers (kind of exercises) 1) Epley maneuver 2) Semont maneuver. If above disease is excluded then next step will be to exclude any inner-ear problem and the same ENT Specialist will exclude labrynthitis, Menier disease. drug toxcity (make sure you are not taking any drug) . These are all inner-ear disease and this part of the ear control your balance. So most common causes of your balance problem can be managed by ENT Specialist. Now coming to rare causes of your symptoms. Symptoms like dropping objects can be the early signs of geriatric neurological diseases (old age disease) so you have to visit to geriatric neurologist for the exclusion of parkinsonism etc. but lets hope its not these diseases. but still on the safe side I'll advise you to visit this specialist so the disease can be controlled prior its manifestations and you can stay healthy. If you have further query please feel free to ask otherwise kindly close the questiions Thank You for Writing to XXXXXXX :)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor