What causes eyelid apraxia while suffering from Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Im a 75 year old male and have had Parkinsons for 7 years. My eyes have been examined by my opthomologist and are fine. My eyelids keep closing even though I am not tired. What is causing this?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible differential diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. You are suffering from "eyelid Apraxia". It can be due to Parkinson disease itself. There are other causes also, which must be ruled out. These are

- Progressive supra nuclear palsy - It is a spontaneous neurological degenerative disorder. It can be ruled out by clinical examination and MRI brain.

- Motor neurone disease - It can be due to drugs, age related. 3rd nerve weakness can cause such manifestation. Nerve conduction velocity can confirm the diagnosis.

- Myopathy due to Ropinirole can cause such fatiguability. Myopathy can be confirmed by EMG and CPK level.

- Myasthenia gravis - It is uncommon at this age, but it is one of the most common cause of drooping eyelid. It can be confirmed by Each receptor antibody test, EMG studies.

- Drug induced dystonia

You must consult your doctor about these possibilities. I have mentioned the required investigations. You can ask your doctor about it. Please let me know the response.

If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D